What does it take to guarantee success?
The answer is simple: do the work. Too many people are looking for shortcuts that allow them to bypass the hard work needed to achieve their goals.
Hard work is the key to success.
However, hard work without any focus or direction is pointless. It’s back-breaking labor that’ll never take you where you wanna go in life.
Because whatever you dream of accomplishing requires work. You’re going to have to put in some time.
And work for it. Even if you’re working and doing things the smart way.
So grab a shovel.
Because if you don’t put in the time and work on what you want, you’ll never get it.
Start By Focusing on Your Passion
If you’re passionate about something, the time and labor needed to reach your goal(s) will hurt less.
For example, let’s say you love doing art, designing clothes, or buildings. The work needed to get the training, skills, job, or build a business doing these things will be fun and interesting.
Instead of boring the shit out of you.
Or the feeling you may have had before that comes with working at a job you hate.
And along the way to guarantee success (as you put in the work to build your skills), it can be helpful to visualize where you want to be.
What type of building will you be designing?
Visualize it. And then see yourself at the ribbon-cutting.
Watch yourself, sharply dressed. Looking confident, smiling, and glowing as you show off THE exact facility you’ve been meaning to design.
But know this along your journey…
Talent and Craft are Two Very Different Things
Talent is important and can be nicely paired with passion.
So let’s say you’re really good at gymnastics. You have a talent.
But… if you have the passion and focus to work out for hours upon hours each day as a child. While competing with the best of the best.
What you’re doing is building a powerful CRAFT. One that can make you a world-class athlete.
Craft is what you get when you combine the following:
- Talent, or love for a particular activity
- The passion and discipline required to do the work
- And focus to stick with it on days when talent just isn’t enough
Someone might be naturally good at figuring out how to make furniture. And how it needs to be designed.
But it takes work to build a craft that includes wood selection, fabric choices, cushion density, product finish, and the like. Talent is the spot where you take off.
Success and creating a profitable business for yourself or your career will take craft. And that takes hard work to build.
But you can guarantee success by doing the work.
Your Habits and Routine Make Success Easier
A habit is something you do automatically.
If you have a hustler’s mindset and are determined to succeed no matter what, good habits can make achieving your goals easier.
For example, let’s say that you want to travel and work from anywhere.
You’ll need the following:
- Strong computer skills
- Serious focus on deadlines
- And good communication skills through email, online meetings, and over the phone
Habits That Can Get You to Your Goal Include
(1) Responding to requests within 1 hour of opening the email or communication, depending on the request. If the request is very involved, respond with a suggested timeline to solve the problem.
(2) Getting to work at the same time each day. That way others know when to expect you and they can count on you. Note – alarms and timers are some of the best tools for building successful habits and routines.
(3) Do something to increase your technical skills each week. Whether it’s a webinar or an online exercise. Read or watch a new video. And then try and use what you just learned to let it soak in.
(4) Respond thoughtfully with a solution instead of quickly.
Guarantee Success By Protecting Your Quality Brain Time
Author Mel Robbins reminds us that wise use of your morning brainpower is critical to success.
Don’t burn your morning brain with unhelpful decision burdens.
And before you go to bed, know what you’re going to do first thing in the morning and what you’re going to wear the next day.
But why does this matter?
Because every decision you make requires energy. The decisions you make on a daily basis tires your brain out.
Bit by bit.
So save your morning brain for the big, creative decisions in your life.
And when you do this you can more easily reach your goals by working more effectively.
Enjoy Your Time Off
If you want more than just a 40 hour a week job, you’re going to have to put in a lot of work.
Take care to guard your off time.
And to do something special for you and yours with that time. But back away from the need to always be productive for a few hours each week. Or else you’ll burn out.
Watch a movie you haven’t seen before.
Let the delivery person manage dinner one night a week and treat yourself to some good food.
And when you’re tired and struggling on Tuesday, make a mental note of your Saturday evening plans so you can keep pushing.
But Guarantee Success By Doing The Work:
- Focus and be intentional.
- Build habits and routines that make you more effective.
- Protect your morning brain fiercely.
- And celebrate the work and play tha’ll build the life you want.